Wednesday, January 12, 2011

American Wit and Wisdom - Will Rogers, Humorist, Actor, Author, Dog Lover

Will Rogers: Ambassador of Good Will, Prince of Wit and Wisdom

Will Rogers: Cowboy, Comedian, and Commentator (Signature Lives)
Will Rogers, born November 4, 1879, in Indian Territory. He became one of the best-known celebrities in the 1920s and 1930s. 

He found success with his vaudeville rope act in the Ziegfeld Follies which led to his first movie contracts. In all he made 71 movies...50 of them silent films. He was also a world traveler, columnist, social commentator and published 6 books during his lifetime.

"Our constitution protects aliens, drunks
and U. S. Senators."   Will Rogers


His down-to-earth folksy style allowed him to poke fun at politicians, gangsters, government programs and contoversial topics without causing offense allowing him to become beloved world figure.

"I belong to no organized party.
I'm a Democrat."   Will Rogers

Will Rogers was a sought after speaker for conventions, afterdinner affairs and spoke at benefits for natural disaster victimsas well as donating to their recovery.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."    Will Rogers

Will Rogers last performance was at the San Bernardino California Theatre of Performing Arts. On August 15, 1935 the world lost Will Rogers in a place crash near Barrow, Alaska.

"When I die, my epitaph, or whatever you call those signs on gravestones, is going to read: "I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I dident like." I am so proud of that, I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved." Will Rogers

No comments:

Post a Comment