Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Author Spotlight: An Interview with Brock Booher author of Healing Stone

Meet Brock Booher, the humbled author of Healing Stone, his first published novel. Thank you for joining us today, Brock. Let's start with a brief bio before jumping into the questions.

Bio

Brock Booher grew up on a farm in rural Kentucky, the fourth of ten children, where he learned to work hard, use his imagination, and believe in himself. He left the farm to pursue the friendly skies as a pilot, and currently flies for a major US carrier. 

A dedicated husband and father of six children, he began writing out of sheer arrogance, but the writing craft quickly humbled him. During that process, he discovered that he enjoyed writing because it is an endeavor that can never quite be mastered. He still gladly struggles everyday to improve his writing and storytelling skills.


Tell me about yourself.

My name is Brock Booher. I am originally from a farm in Kentucky, but I have lived in several states and countries throughout my life. I currently reside in Gilbert, Arizona. I am the fourth of ten children, and I have six children of my own.

Tell us about your book?

Healing Stone is a coming-of-age story about a young man in Easter Kentucky that discovers that he has the gift of healing.

Abandoned in a graveyard and a mother who was never found--that's all Stone Molony knows about his birth. But now he needs to know more. A tragic accident has awakened a powerful gift inside him that changes everything. As the town stirs up around him, Stone journeys through corruption, racism, and violence to uncover the truth about his past.

Did you always want to be a writer?

I did not always want to be a writer, and occasionally when my work is getting a bad review, or I am struggling to get the words on paper, I don’t want to be one now. But I am surprised I wasn’t drawn to it sooner. My parents bought books when we could barely afford clothing. My family was a family of readers. So, when the idea hit me to actually write a book, it wasn’t a foreign concept.

How long did it take you to write your first novel?

It took me a year to write my first published novel, Healing Stone, and thirteen months and forty-two rejections to find a publisher. It was my second novel manuscript and my third attempt. My first novel will be published five years after I decided to write one.

What inspired you to write?

I was inspired to write by my own arrogance. In January of 2009, I finished a book by a popular author and was very unimpressed. I turned the book over and saw that it was a NY Times best-seller. “I could do better than that,” I mumbled. So I began to dabble in writing and pondered various book ideas. Although I didn’t share my writing with anyone for several months, I found that I thoroughly enjoyed my writing time and found myself eager to get back to my computer. Writing gave me new purpose, and filled an emotional void in my life. It allowed me to be creative. I began sharing my work and was encouraged. I attended Orson Scott Card’s Literary Boot Camp, and came away with greater desire and respect for the writing craft. Today, I am still arrogant enough to think that I can succeed, but not so naïve that I think success will come without great struggles and many failures.

Where do you get your ideas?

I steal ideas from various sources – overhead conversations, news articles, history, and occasionally I think I have original thought, but I am usually mistaken. I carry around a notebook to write down ideas and thoughts.

Do you have any special writing routine?

I don’t have any specific routine except that I am disciplined enough to block the time to write and keep my schedule. I just put my butt in the chair when I am supposed to.

Who is your favorite character from Healing Stone?

My favorite character so far is Leck Molony. He is gritty and his no-nonsense approach to life is one I enjoy. He is also a man of action that isn’t afraid of consequences. He is named after a favorite great uncle of mine.

What is your professional background?

I have a day job as a commercial pilot. The job affords me a good living and a time in hotel rooms without interruptions. Consequently, I do a lot of writing in hotel rooms.

What do your hope to accomplish with your writing?

I want my writing to entertain and inspire you. I want you to learn something from the things I write, but I don’t want to preach to you. Any moral principle you learn from what I write should be subtle. I hope that the characters and plot problems inspire you to be a better person.

Abandoned as a baby in a
 graveyard, Stone Molony knows
nothing about his birth mother.
But when a powerful gift
awakens inside him, he must dig
into his past to uncover the
truth of who he really is.
Find Brock and Healing Stone at these locations:

Website: http://www.brockbooher.com/

Twitter: @BrockBooher

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorBrockBooher

Amazon: http://amzn.to/1layPv1

Barnes and Noble: http://bit.ly/1laz1un



No comments:

Post a Comment